Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Leucojum - Summer Snowflakes

I bought Summer Snowflakes bulbs; it was sort of a compulsive buy.  My mother, who loves to plant, had this plant by the front door of our house.  I like the refreshing color contrast of white and green, and I wanted it in my yard, too.  Commonly called "Summer Snowflakes" has rather not-so-cute official name: Leucojum


 A bulb of Leucojum.  I planted this on November 8, 2010 in a clay container.  Later, I read that they should've been planted in the ground. Ah well.

33 days later, I found a little tip in the soil.  I started to get worried since I thought "plant immediately" meant speedy growth.  It was a long wait!

61 days after planting, all 5 bulbs sprouted.  I placed the container at a very sunny spot.  Maybe that helped?

67 days after planting.  I see a bud!  This picture was taken in the morning.

Same day, in the afternoon - can you see the  change?

In the later afternoon - I didn't get to see the first flower, but I know I can see it very soon!

Next morning (68 days after planting the bulbs), the first flower finally opened!!


 This is from this morning.  It is hard to see in this picture, but three flowers opened.


Also, I see another bud at the bottom of the plant, and another from a different bulb.  I am very excited!!  Stay tuned for more pictures with more flowers~


BULB INFORMATION:

Bulbs I bought: Leucojum Gravetye Giant
Bulbs bought from: Easy to Grow Bulbs.com
Origination of the seeds: USA
According to the package:
*  Days to germination: Unknown - Mine took 33 days to sprout
*  Days to bloom: Unknown - Mine took 68 days
*  Plant height: 16-20 inches
*  Grows best: Full Sun to Light or Dappled Shade
*  Recommended planting season for San Diego: Immediately upon delivery - I planted in November

No comments:

Post a Comment