Saturday, February 19, 2011

Bleeding Heart

I didn't know this flower before (like many other), and when I saw the bulbs at Home Depot, I had to get it, just beacuse.  When I looked at the pictures on the package of BLEEDING HEART bulbs, sure enough, the flowers really look like as if little hearts are bleeding.  According to the package description, this is good for shaded areas - perfect!  I needed something for the side of the house and  under my Japanese Maple tree in the back yard.

I bought Bleeding Heart and Lily of the Valley.  Both are recommended for shades. 

This is how a 'bulb' of Bleeding Heart looks like.  Doesn't this look like a piece of giant root?  I don't even know which side is up or down.  I just buried it, about 3 inches deep in the ground. 


26 days later, I noticed something new joined my yard - is this it, or is this weed ?

I checked all three places I planted the bulbs and found the same leaves at all three spots.  Yay, my Bleeding Hearts have successfully emerged from the ground. 

BULB INFORMATION:

Bulbs I bought: Bleeding Heart, Pink
Bulbs bought from: Home Depot
Origination of the seeds: Netherlands
According to the package:
*  Days to germination: Unknown - Mine took less than 26 days to sprout
*  Days to bloom: Unknown/Late Spring-Early Summer Blooms Mine took 79 days to bloom
*  Plant height: 36 inches
*  Grows best: Full Shade
*  Recommended planting season for San Diego: January through April - I planted in January

No comments:

Post a Comment